There was a discussion on hacker news about
yahoo pipe. After reading it, I decided to give it a try and write one to provide alerts for homework in one of my classes. After playing around with it for a bit, I managed to get a pipe up in running.
Overall, I found
pipes easy to use and fairly intuitive once I got going. However, I have previous experience programming. I found it fairly similar to
labview, a graphical programming language used for many scientific purposes. It was easier to use and much less painful then
labview with nice thick connections. Another key difference is it's ability to easily inspect the results each step of the way, which makes debugging and tinkering around in
pipes very easy.
The biggest problem I found was the limited set of operators, although more sufficient than nothing. Even though it felt rather limited, when I became more familiar with it, I was able to do everything I wanted to do with one key exception. I was unable to get the pubDate field to what I wanted, in part because I don't actually know the puDate. However, this problem is irrelevant, I created a yahoo alerts to create an alert that emails me when the homework is updated.Posted on 25 October 2010 in yahoo pipes